Every ARF adoption begins with an online application. But what happens after you apply?
- Screening Interview: Pre-approved applicants will be asked to complete a phone interview with one of our foster parents/volunteers. This interview will take at least 30 minutes.
- Foster Home Match: If the screening interview is successful, ARF will contact the foster home. If the foster home feels there might be a match, the foster home will contact the applicant to schedule a meeting in their home.
- Foster Home Interview: The applicant and all members of the applicant’s household (of all ages, including non-related members, such as boarders or renters) must attend an interview in the foster family’s home.
- 24 Hour Wait Period: 24 hours after the initial meeting, the applicant contacts the foster home to advise if they are still interested in pursuing the adoption.
- Permanent Adoption: Final approval of adoptions is at the sole discretion of the foster homes and is based primarily on the best possible match for both the cat and the adopter. We ask that all potential adopters respect the foster homes’ decision. Please note that the adoption contract must be signed and any associated fees and necessary documents must be provided to the foster home prior to the cat going to their new home. All cats must leave their foster home in a secure cat carrier.
- Follow-Up: In order to ensure your relationship with your ARF cat is a successful one, an adopter can expect a follow-up email within 3-6 weeks of adoption. This email is not intended to interfere or disrupt the new family, but to offer support to ensure the transition with the new pet is a smooth one. We have also collected a number of resources to help you adjust to life with your new cat.
- Out-of-Town Adoptions: We do facilitate out-of-town adoptions and process amendments are assessed on a case-by-case basis. We do not ship our animals.
- Kittens (under 6 months): $150
- Second kitten adopted by the same household within 30 days: $100 (Two for $250)
- Adolescent Cats (6 months – 4 years): $100
- Second adolescent adopted by the same household within 30 days: $75 (Two for $175)
- Adult Cats (4 years +): $75
- Second adult adopted by the same household within 30 days: $50 (Two for $125)
- Designated Barn Cats: By Donation
Your adoption fees include spay/neuter surgery, a tattoo or microchip, FVRCP vaccinations and de-worming. We do not vaccinate for rabies, and we do not test or vaccinate for FeLV/FIV.
**NEW** We are proud to provide all dog and cat adopters with a 6-week trail of pet insurance through Petsecure.
Please note: Adoption fees are non-refundable. Should an adopter become unable to keep an animal, they must contact ARF who will endeavour to remove the animal as soon as possible (space permiting); however, no refund will be issued.